Friday, March 1, 2013

So...starting CSS

So, I've learned a bit of HTML, which is cool. It's great for creating the content of all the webpages and doing basic text effects, like headings, or italics. You can also post pictures and links, and make tables. You can also create forms, which could be useful for log ins and surveys. You can also use it to embed music and videos, which is totally awesome. I tried it by embedding a Taylor Swift song on my trial website. One of the things that is giving me a little trouble is remembering all the different tags and what their function is. In short, HTML is great for the actual page content.

I've tried all the stuff mentioned above on my test page, and they've all worked successfully.

But it's very limited in the formatting you can do. And that brings me to CSS, which is great for formatting text and images. It is easy to understand and creates some pretty darn cool stuff. CSS was actually created because HTML wasn't created for formatting. Nope. But people were using it for that purpose. Tags like <font> and color were added to HTML 3.2, but web developers would have to add that stuff to every page, which took, as you can imagine, a very long time. So The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) created CSS. All formatting could be removed from the HTML file and stored in a separate CSS file.

But what does this mean? It means background images. It means easy font coloring, being able to change the font of the page, and a bunch of other aesthetic stuff that gives a website visual appeal. Admit it, you'd rather browse a cool-looking website with images and colors than a plain left-aligned black text page. Everyone would.

So that's my next thing to learn, and I think it should be fun. The code isn't confusing and I'm picking up on it fairly fast. It seems to be even easier than HTML tags from what I've seen so far. It's incredibly easy to link a CSS file to an HTML file, which is good. I have to remember though, that I can't make it distracting or it'll take away from the actual contents.

Peace out.

2 comments:

  1. Are you actually keeping your endeavors on your test page, or are you erasing it and starting over each time? It could be helpful for you to leave it up and post a link on your blog, so we can actually see the progress you're making. Also, it's cool that you're learning about the history of HTML and CSS; I never would have thought to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to be progressing rather quickly. HTML, CSS, Java etc. are completely foreign to me, so if this doesn't make sense I apologize in advance. On your next blogpost, what if you used some of your new skills and included some more interesting features? Marquee for instance? Good luck in your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete